About Me

March 10, 2011

An Ear's Worth

 

        Yay! yippee! It is 3:47 am and I have got to answer my PE and EVS exam in a few hours time but never the less, the exams are over and I am eagerly awaiting my results. If I make it this time, then I am going to make it large! The World-Cup fever has got into my nerves and head, thus I expect to surrender myself to the lord of entertainment in the town, cricket! Have a lot of activities planned this summer. Besides the regular classes, I have to lend a hand to AFA's numerous activities and make hay whether the sun shines or not. Also, we have planned this talk (and PowerPoint presentation) series at the observatory involving scientific principles that is open for all to attend and participate in. And not to forget the astrophotography outings that we have planned.

    Now, let us get back to work. An Ear's Worth. If you are searching for some usual tangy post, then this is not for you. But but hold on! Who knows if it might strike a chord in your mind? Well, as the title suggest, this has something got to do with the ear. I'd say evolution of the human ear to be specific. Now I am not any evolutionist or an expert in this field, I am a great devotee of Charles Darwin, the father of the theory of evolution (and the outcome of evolution, most certainly!). You'd be thinking what do I, a self confessed astro-buff have got to do with the ear? A lot I'd say. Read on! (It is 3:58 am, so excuse me for the brash storytelling)

   The date was 24th May 2010. In Pune for an exam, I experienced one of the best examples of 'whatever happens, happens for the good'. Somehow, I had made it to the top 6 of my age group in the National Level 'JVPP' examination organised by Vigyan Bharti. It was here that I met a radical (but good at heart) dude from my soon-to-be Higher Secondary school besides having my first McMeal with my dad and him. Enough of beating around the bush. Let me take you to the time when the results were being announced. My heat was beating (just like that of Jerry when Tom chases him) and as the announcer started with the reverse order, my mind transported me to the observatory (just got reminded of a friend who dreamt about NSG commandoes at the obs after 26/11, dunno why!).

   There I was lazily sitting in a small circle with a bunch of kids who I was meant to engage into some meaningful activity while a lot of members were kind of really enjoying their heart out at a KK (Krishnakumar Kunnath) concert that was being held in the city. Oh! I had almost cursed myself to death reading the updates that Suyash was sending me! But then I had already missed it and not much could be done. To speak of the work at hand, engaging a bunch of kids in a scientific discussion under a dull, pathetic sky isn't a cakewalk. Right from talking about what I don't recollect to the most important question that came across from a young mind, I kind of ended up enjoying the day. The question that made my day was "How did the main sense organs evolve?". Let us keep the evolution of the other organs apart fir now (especially the eye, which is also interesting..buzz me up on FB if really interested). Read on to see what I said about the evolution of the external structure of the human ear. Mind you, I give you no promise that this is correct as I have not yet googled the correct thing out, will do so soon! I have tried to reproduce as much as I can remember here!

  " The evolution of the ear is actually common sense if you know a little bit of acoustics and reflection of waves. We all know that the ear is concave in shape. If we try cupping our hands around our ears and try listening to people talking at a distance, we hear them much more prominently then we ever could. What is exactly happening in here? Nothing but reflection of the waves coming from infinity which end up 'focusing' into one's inner canal. That is why we have the outer cartilage, if I am not wrong instead of a plain, bland hole to serve as a receptor for our hearing purpose. Here arises the question, why only ahead? I think we could have done better at surviving in during the early periods of man if he had the cartilage cupped with the opening facing the opposite side as it is now so that he could be alert and sensitive to any sound made by a predator. But perhaps, as he grew more social and social, he found an overwhelming need to gossip and therefore it leads us to the current shape"

Science of spying on bitches

   Phew! I had just made that spontaneous answer and had never bothered to check the outcome. And then, just like it had started, the next time I had to remember the science behind the way I spy on bitches was at the final written round, wherein we were made to write on the same old topic. How the human ear ear evolved, according to us. Suddenly, I felt a jolt, some-one had pushed me. And the rest as they say, was history! I came, I heard and I conqu-eared!

So, missing a concert wasn't that bad an idea, eh? Now hopefully, If I fare badly in my PE and EVS paper, do not forget to remind me that everything happens for good!

  (P.S. - It is 05:01 am now. Time to post and sleep. Till date, only Kirit Ayya has undergone my half-asleep science lectures. Just because that nut put me to sleep doesn't mean that you do not notify me of my mistakes! Happy vacations and do comment!)

2 comments:

Chaitanya Malik said...

Hahhaha!! SUPERLYK THEORY of EARS!! TOO GUD!! SHOULD APPEAR ON MUSHTIFUND MAIN BOARD ACTUALLY!!

Raj Kunkolienkar said...

Thanks dude! Mushtifund will never accept such physics as it is not there in Modern's ABC

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Me, Midas Touch by Raj Kunkolienkar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at imidastouch.blogspot.com
.